The Akron Driver’s License is part of the Clerk and Recorder’s Office. The state requires proof that you are lawfully present in the U.S. and are able to operate a motor vehicle safely (if applying for a license).
Washington County Courthouse
150 Ash Avenue
Akron, CO 80720-1510
8 AM - 4:30 PM
No Drive tests at the moment
Sorry for the inconvenience.
The Washington County Clerk and Recorder’s Office offers the following driver’s license services for any Colorado resident.
If we do not offer the service that you need, please visit a full-service State office.
All Colorado driver’s license and identification cards are mailed and may take up to 30 days to arrive. Proof of address and proof of ID are required with all transactions. Please check below for required documents and fees before visiting our offices.
Two (2) proofs of physical Colorado address documents are required for the following applicants:
- First time and new applicants
- Individuals with a Colorado driver license, instruction permit, or identification card that has been expired over one year
- Individuals changing the address on their card
- Individuals reinstating their driving privilege and require testing
Documents presented to the DMV must include the applicant’s name, full residential address and be dated within one year. Electronic documents or documents that only display a PO Box number are not acceptable.
All documents presented must be dated within one year of application
- Computer Generated Bill (utility, credit card, doctor, hospital, etc.)
- Bank Statement
- Pre-Printed Pay Stub
- First-Class Mail (government agency or court)
- Current Homeowner’s, Renter’s or Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy
- Mortgage, Lease, or Rental Contract
- Transcript or Report Card from an Accredited School
- Motor Vehicle Registration
- USPS Change of Address Form (CNL107) W-2, SSA-1099, non-SSA-1099
NOTE: customers must update their residential address within 30 days of obtaining a permanent residence per C.R.S. 42-2-119.
- Renew Driver’s License https://www.colorado.gov/dmv/renewals
- Proof of Address Information (new 8-19-2015) https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/proof-address
- Change Your Address https://apps.colorado.gov/apps/dor/addressChange/welcome.jsf
- Lost/Stolen Driver’s License, Permit or ID Card https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/loststolen-driver-license-permit-or-id-card
- Purchase Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Letter of Clearance https://www.colorado.gov/dmv/purchase-motor-vehicle-record-mvr-letter-clearance
In Office Services
- Renew or request a Driver’s License or Colorado ID Card
- Replace lost or stolen Class R Driver’s License
- Transfer a permit to a first time Driver’s License with completed Basic Operator Skill Test form
- Transfer an Out-of-State ID Card or Driver’s License (non-commercial only)
- Change Name or Address (Name must be updated with the Social Security Administration at least 24 hours prior to driver’s license changes) Must have documents showing name change such as Marriage License, Court Papers, Divorce Papers.
- Add a Motorcycle Endorsement
- Add a Military Identifier
- Get a Non-Certified Motor Vehicle Driving Record
- Register as Organ Donor
- Written Tests
- Drive Tests
- Colorado Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Out-of-State CDL transfers
- Interlock-Restricted Driver’s License
- Probationary Driver’s License
- Copies of driver histories (must appear in person or Fill out DR2559 Permission for Release of Individual Records form allowing another person to obtain information).
- The Social Security Administration provides information regarding Social Security card name changes.
Greeley Social Security Office
5400 West 11th Street
Greeley, CO 80634
Services Not Offered
Washington County does NOT offer the following services. Instead, please find a full-service State office to meets your needs.
- Certified copies of driving records and driver histories
Contact Division of Motor Vehicles
1881 Pierce St.
Lakewood, CO 80214
Or by mail – include:
Date of Birth
Driver License Number (if available)
Complete and legible original signature of driver
Photocopy of driver’s photo ID bearing signature
$2.60 ($3.20) certified copy) – do not send cash.
For more information see: https://www.colorado.gov/dmv/purchase-motor-vehicle-record-mvr-letter-clearance
- Driver’s Licenses and ID Cards for Individuals Not Lawfully Present or Lawfully Temporarily Present in the United States. (SB13-251)
Services are offered at the following offices:
Denver Central – 1865 W. Mississippi Ave., Suite C, Denver
Grand Junction – 222 S. 6th St., #111, Grand Junction
Colorado Springs – 2447 N. Union Blvd., Colorado Springs
Appointments are required – call 303-205-2335
To be issued a driver’s license or ID card by a county office, U.S. citizens must provide:
- Proof of ID, including full legal name, identity, date of birth and lawful presence in the U.S., and
- Proof of Colorado Residential Address
PLEASE NOTE: Beginning Aug.19, 2015, you must present TWO (2) forms of proof of Colorado residential address if:
- You are a new applicant, or
- Your license/ID/Permit has been expired for more than one year, or
- You need to change your address and be issued a new license/ID/permit.
Electronic documents are not accepted as proof of address. All documents must include the customer’s first and last name, full residential address in Colorado, and must be dated within the last 12 months. See Two (2) proof of physical Colorado address documents listed above.
(are established by the legislature or promulgated in rule).
If you are 21 years of age or older and your driver license is lost, stolen or mutilated, you will be required to purchase a regular driver license per Colorado Revised Statute 42-2-117 (1.5).
- Driver’s License Renewal – $26
- Name/Address Change
- Transfer Out of State License or ID
- Duplicate License (over 21)
- Motorcycle Endorsement – $2
- Instruction Permit (includes motorcycle) – $16.80
- Identification Card (under 60 years old) – $11.50
- Identification Card (over 60 years old) – FREE
- Duplicate Permit or License (minors under 21) – $12.00
- Subsequent Duplicate Permit or License (minors under 21) – $16.00
- CDL License – $15.50
- CDL Instruction Permit – $16.80
- CDL Duplicate License or Permit – $9.00
- CDL Subsequent Duplicate License or Permit – $16.00
For information, visit the Colorado Department of Revenue website or call 303-205-5694.
- Online Driver’s License and ID Card Renewal
- Colorado DMV Frequently Asked Questions
- Statewide Driver’s License Office Locations