Zoning Official - Denise Chavez
Second Floor Courthouse
150 Ash Avenue
Akron, CO 80720
(970)345-2701 ext 234
The Washington County Land Use Office administers the permits for the unincorporated portion of the County for buildings and structures as well as changes in land use. Regular meeting time is the third Monday in the month at 7:00 p.m. in the old courtroom at the courthouse. (Date is subject to change.)
|Deanna L. Schrock|
|Tony Wells||(ex officio)|
|Leland Willeke||(ex officio)|
|Lea Ann Laybourn||(ex officio)|
Building Permits are Required For
- Residences – all categories including mobile/manufactured homes
- Building Permit Application (Not for Mobile or Manufactured Homes)
- Building Permit Application for Mobile or Manufactured Homes
- Foundation permit may be required for mobile/manufactured homes
- Well and septic permits may be required before final approval
- Special Use Permit - Development Permit Swine, Dairy Cattle, Beef Cattle and Swine
- Out buildings (barns, shops, machine sheds, etc.)
- Grain bins
- Garages, room additions, decks with attached roofs, screened porches, etc.
Land Use Applications
Land Use applications go to the Planning Commission for approval before they are approved by the Board of County Commissioners.
- Exemption from Subdivision
- Single residence is allowed.
- Merge an Exemption from Subdivision back into a larger acreage
- Use by Special Review
- Commercial use or special use of property
- Multiple residences on less than 35 acres of land. Must have health department approval for septic for multiple residences on acreage.
- Amend Current Use by Special Review
- Minor changes to established project or business without changing the original proposal given for approval.
- Application approved by Commissioners only.
- Extinguish Current Use by Special Review
- Revert the property back to agricultural zoning. Approved by Commissioners only in certain circumstances.
- Temporary Special Use Permit
- Needed for special large events such as concerts, some auctions, large gatherings for other purposes except family reunions. (See form)
- Special Use Regulation
- Special Use Permit - Development Permit Swine, Dairy Cattle, Beef Cattle, Poultry
These are general guidelines. Always call the Commissioner’s Office at (970)345-2701 (Planning and Zoning) for specific information.
Request for Address – needed for new address either for new building or location site for 911 emergency such as pump station or electrical substation.